Africa and Beyond

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Cambridge

So its sunday night and I am in cambridge. I finally got bitten a bit
by winter train schedules (and some strikes) over the past couple of
days so my itinerary has not been quite what I thought.

I spent some time saturday morning walking around glasgow and then I
went to try and catch a train to northwest scotland, either oban or
fort william was the plans. Two problems. First the trains out that
way are always slow and in the winter they don't run very often. I
thought I found a workable schedule to Oban but the train was I
thought I would take only runs for two weekends in june. So I just
caught a train to Stirling and went to check out the castle there.
This was for a very long time the strategic capital of scotland.

I continued on to Edinburgh last night and stayed there. I caught a
literary pub tour and actually stayed out past midnight for once.
This morning I went to the castle and scottish musuem, walked around a
bit more, and then went to find a train to somewhere. This is where I
found that system maintenance and strikes had drastically reduced the
number of trains to the south. I caught one to london and the first
class pass bailed me out again since that was the only place with
seats left.

I found a train back up to cambridge from london king cross and here I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home